Hafiz & Elmy Nahida

By: Hafiz Elmy

[Recommend this Fotopage] | [Share this Fotopage]
View complete fotopage

Tuesday, 18-Jul-2006 12:00 Email | Share | Bookmark
Day 3 - Florence, Italy

View from train..on the way to Florence. Day trip...
View from train.
At last, we are in Florence....
Florence market.kalau nak shopping leather, kat sini lah...
On the way to Duomo (Santa Maria del Fiore).
Florence - Duomo.
Duomo, is a typical of Italian Gothic architecture.
Was designed by Arnolfo di Cambio (c. 1245-1302).
Florence - Duomo.
Florence - Duomo.
Yeong & Janice....
Every picture has an own story.
Florence - Duomo.
Florence - Italy.
Florence - Italy.
Florence - Italy.
Florence - Italy.
Florence - Italy.
Florence - Italy.
Florence - Italy.
Florence - Italy.
"Ginny...come here ha..."
On the way to "Ponte Vecchio".
Pelukis jalanan...
In front of "Ponte Vecchio" - Old Bridge.
"Ponte Vecchio" or "Old Bridge", Florence - Italy.
"Ponte Vecchio" or "Old Bridge", Florence-Italy.
The bridge was built to allow access over the Arno.
Di bina 753 tahun yg lalu..masih utuh...
View from "Ponte Vecchio".
Main entrance "Ponte Vecchio".
Betul-betul di atas "Old Bridge"..best giler...
Di atas "Old Bridge" nih banyak jewelry shop..rambang mata....
View from "Ponte Vecchio".
Happy tak boleh nak cakap lah...tp, panas skit...
Tercapai jugak hasrat aku nak datang sini..alhamdulillah...
Nice pose from Amy....
Tengok...Ginny pun show good..
View from "Ponte Vecchio".
View from "Ponte Vecchio"...memang cun..
Kali nih, aku aku betul-betul enjoy honeymoon...
On the way back to central station..dah petang...
Kalau dah sampai sini, tak makan pizza tak sah lah....
Last pose from Amy.


Quote:
Florence – Duomo
The Florence Duomo is dedicated to Santa Maria del Fiore and is typical of Italian Gothic architecture. The present building was designed by Arnolfo di Cambio (c. 1245-1302), one of the greatest architect- sculptors of his age, who considerably enlarged the existing structure. This was finished in around 1367 and was completely covered with coloured marbles like the earlier Baptistery, although the uncompleted facade was given its covering in the nineteenth century. The Cupola remained unfinished, and in 1421 the polygonal base was erected. Two architects won the competition to design the dome, Lorenzo Ghiberti (1368-1445) and Filippo Brunelleschi (1377-1446), but it was Brunelleschi who actually built it using remarkable technical knowledge to achieve the uniquely beautiful results we see today. Completed in 1436, the Cupola is the most characteristic feature of the Florentine skyline, symbolising a great cultural tradition and the city's civic awareness. One of the most notable features of the exterior apart from the apses is the beautiful Porta della Mandorla on the north facade, so-called from the large aureole around the Assumption of the Virgin (mandorla = almond) sculptured by Nanni di Banco (1380/90-1421). Inside are several important works of art, offset by the architecture's taut Gothic forms, completely different from medieval buildings north of the Alps. Of primary importance are the two frescoes on the right-hand wall showing the equestrian monuments of the "condottieri" John Hawkwood and Niccolò da Tolentino by Paolo Uccello (1436) and Andrea del Castagno (1456). The fresco decoration of the clock on the inside wall, showing four vigorous heads of male saints, are by Paolo Uccello. Many of the sculptures from the Duomo are now kept in the Museum of the Opera del Duomo (see separate entry) but others are still in place, such as the lunettes by Luca della Robbia above the doors of the Sacristy or the bronze door of the Mass Sacristy. The great Pietà by Michelangelo (c. 1553) has been temporarily removed.

The splendid stained glass windows should not be forgotten, mainly executed from 1434-1445 to the designs of such important artists as Donatello, Andrea del Castagno and Paolo Uccello. Also notable are the wooden inlays of the Sacristy cupboards to the designs of Brunelleschi, Antonio Del Pollaiolo and others.

The Cupola's interior remained undecorated until Giorgio Vasari (1511-1574) and Federico Zuccari (c. 1540-1609) painted a huge and not entirely satisfactory Last Judgement there. The "Cupolone" or huge dome remains, with the cathedral bell-tower known as the "Campanile di Giotto", the most striking feature of any view of the city. Giotto, the famous painter and architect designed the tower, although at his death in 1337 only the lowest part was complete. Work was continued under Andrea Pisano (c. 1290-1349) and Francesco Talenti (active 1325-1369) who completed the structure repeating the decoration of marble relieved by windows; the traditional pointed finial was never added. The sculptured marble panels illustrate a cycle centred around the theme of the order of the universe.




Quote:
Florence – “Ponte Vecchio”
Built in ancient times by the Etruscans, the bridge has weathered many storms - and storming by invading legions. Because of its location over the widest part of the Arno River, the bridge has been rebuilt and restored many times throughout its long history. And it has changed with the times.

Originally the bridge was built to allow access over the Arno. Slowly, with so much traffic going over it, a few enterprising parties decided to set up shop on the bridge itself. As that early traffic consisted primarily of traveling soldiers, it isn't surprising that the first merchants to set up shop were blacksmiths, butchers, and tanners.

During the Middle Ages, Florence was hit hard by the Plague. Half of Florence was wiped out the by the Black Death, and the remaining populace became suspicious of their old ways of living.

It was also around this time that the powerful Medici family moved into Florence. They brought with them vast wealth and an appreciation for the finer things in life. Seeing those older merchants using the Arno River as their own personal sewer system didn't exactly fit in with their ideas for the beautification of Florence. Soon the blacksmiths, butchers, and tanners were replaced with goldsmiths and artists, and the number of shops increased tremendously.

Between 1565 and 1800, an upper level was added, as was a back row of shops. All this increased trade not only helped Florence grow, but the new shops also gave the bridge structure and strength.

The Ponte Vecchio is the only of Florence's bridges to have survived WWII, and in 1966, when a massive flood wiped out the shops on the bridge, the bridge itself was strong enough to withstand the roaring waters.

The Ponte Vecchio embodies the progress of humanity because it has come from carrying soldiers to battle, to open commerce, to a vast gathering place for peoples from all walks of life.

2) There has been a bridge over the narrowest part of the Arno since Roman times. The current “old bridge” has survived for more than 750 years. Shops and stalls have clung to its sides since the 13th century. The most malodorous trades from the city - butchers, tanners, and fishmongers - were drawn to the river and a convenient means of waste disposal. The prominent first story of the Ponte Vecchio is part of Vasari's corridor, an enclosed passageway built by the architect Giorgio Vasari to provide a secure route for Grand Duke Cosimo I to commute across the river from his home at the Pitti Palace, to his offices at the Uffizi.






View complete fotopage


© Pidgin Technologies Ltd. 2016

ns4008464.ip-198-27-69.net